Certified Professional Mediator - Requirements
Applicants must have completed a minimum of 80 hours of mediation related training. This must include
• 40 hour basic mediation course
• 40 hours of additional mediation training taken within the last four (4) years
All training needs to be from an accredited college program, Idaho Mediation Association certified training or a structured program that included mediation training.
Thirty percent (30%) or more of the basic mediation training must be devoted to the practice of mediation via learning exercises or role-play simulations of mediated disputes. This requirement can rule out many online programs. Approval for online programs would be advised before using this format for the 40-hour basic mediation requirement.
To the extent possible, please attach Certificates of Completion, transcripts, course titles, instructor, location of the training, a brief summary of the training content and the total hours of training for each course.
If documents are not available, please provide a person and contact information in order that your training can be verified. If the source of training was a structured program which included mediation and it is still operating, it is suggested that you inform the program officials of the IMA Training and Education Committee, whose function it is to certify various trainings and programs. Having the training certified significantly benefits future IMA applicants for certification.
Mediation Experience and Mediation log form:
Applicants must have completed at least 40 hours of mediation case practice in the past four or fewer years, with at least twenty of those hours as solo or lead mediator. Documentation of mediation case practice experience must include dates and actual hours in mediation. You must use the Mediation Log to list mediation cases.
APPLYING FOR CERTIFICATION
Mail four (4) copies of your CPM application to:
Idaho Mediation Association
Standards and Practice Committee
P O Box 2504
Boise, ID 83701
A completed application includes:
1. Proof of membership:
• If you have previously registered as a member of IMA, please email the Administrator for a letter stating that you are a member in good standing to include with your application.
• If you are not a member in good standing, please print the application and include the application and your dues with your CPM application.
2. Cover letter including:
• Your name as you would like it to appear on your CPM Certificate
• Your mailing address, phone number and email address.
• Date the application was prepared for submission.
• A brief description of your training and experience and how it will apply to your practice as a professional mediator.
3. Affidavit of Compliance:
• Applicants must submit a notarized Affidavit of Compliance, certifying that they are fully informed and in agreement with the IMA and CPM Professional Requirements for Ethics, Standards and Practices, and Grievance Procedures.
• Additionally, the applicant must attest to true and complete application materials.
4. $75 CPM Application Processing Fee
5. Documentation of 40 Hours Basic training plus 40 Hours additional training:
• If the mediation training you completed is included on the Training and Education Committee list of approved trainings listed on the IMA website, you need only to indicate the dates of the training, the instructor and provide a Certificate of Completion.
• If the course was provided at a college or university, please provide a transcript showing a passing grade and the course syllabus.
• If you completed other mediation training, you are required to provide the following:
o Name and contact information of the sponsoring organization
o Title of the education/training activity
o Instructor(s) names(s) and title(s)
o Date(s) and location(s)
o Method of presentation
o Total hours of instruction including amount of mediation scenarios or mock mediations
o A brochure, syllabus, or written document describing the training
o Certificates of completion issued by the individual or organization that
conducted the training
6. Document 40 Hours of Mediation Practice in last four years:
Completed IMA Mediation Log showing 40 hours of mediation with at least 20 hours as Lead or Solo mediator that is signed by applicant. Any personal information should be redacted.
7. Two Memoranda of Understanding
Provide two (2) Memoranda of understanding (MOU) representing short and long agreement writing skills from your actual cases. Personal information should be redacted. MOUs that have a place for the mediator to sign will NOT be accepted (mediators are not parties to agreements).
• Your short MOU should be one page, use a minimum of seven clauses, and include a minimum of one future clause.
• Your long MOU should be 3 to 4 pages, use a minimum of 20 clauses, include a minimum of one future clause.
For further assistance, please contact the Standards and Practice Chair.